4th Tues Mar, 4th Tues May (E) 3rd Thurs Dec.
Date of Warrant, 1st December, 1876. Centenary Warrant. The number was originally 74. The first MWS was the Revd. John Robbins, D.D. 18°, and it is thought that his connection with Canterbury Cathedral was instrumental in deciding the Chapters Title. By 1889, numbers had gone into a decline, whilst the Oxford & Cambridge University Chapter was suffering a similar declination with at times only four or five attending. It was decided to amalgamate and members of Canterbury were accepted as joining members into the Oxford & Cambridge ‘without fee’. The Warrant was surrendered on 19th June 1888 and the Brethren joined the Oxford and Cambridge in 1889. During the next seventeen years, having lost its identity, Canterbury Rose Croix Chapter, No. 72, continued a kind of subterranean existence in amalgamation with that distinguished body, the ‘Oxford & Cambridge University Rose Croix Chapter, No. 45’. The Chapter was Re-Constituted on28th March 1906 at 33 Golden Square. There were eight Petitioners, and at a meeting nine Perfectees were admitted along with two joining members. The first MWS was the Rev. Sir Borradaile Savory, Bart (who sadly passed away before seeing out his year in office), and Ill Bro. H. Tipper took over by dispensation for the rest of the year. Two of these Founders were on the Board of the Council of Federated Temperance Masonic Lodges, and so it is no surprise that Canterbury Chapter was a Temperance Chapter from 1906, with all alcohol being forsworn at Refreshment! (It would be interesting to know when they fell ‘off the wagon’, but they were still very much on it in 1931). Current membership 38. Dining Venue: Davy’s at St. James.